History

OUR HISTORY

NYSOMS has a long and distinguished history, serving the public and osteopathic physicians for almost 120 years. NYSOMS was founded in 1899 as the New York Osteopathic Society, a branch of the national American Association for the Advancement of Osteopathy (now the American Osteopathic Association, or AOA). The Society was registered as a not-for-profit organization in 1901. Its current name was adopted in 1978. From its beginning in the 19th century, NYSOMS championed the use of Osteopathic principles, the needs of patients and the physicians that care for them. NYSOMS advocated for DO’s by campaigning in the New York State Legislature from 1939 through 1946.  In 1946 doctors of osteopathy (DOs) were granted the same rights to practice medicine as allopathic doctors (MDs).  In spite of this legislation, practicing DOs continued to have challenges to enjoying these equal rights. In the late 1960s a NYSOMS member won a legal battle in New York courts, further establishing the equal status of D.O. and allopathic M.D. credentials.  further establishing the equal status of D.O. and M.D. credentials. The society was a catalyst in the establishment of the first Osteopathic School in the state, the New York College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYCOM) in 1977.   Along with NYSOMS, now NYIT-COM has grown and is currently one of the largest medical schools in the United States. In response to the growing demand for Osteopathic Physicians NYSOMS supported the opening of additional medical schools and campuses.  In 2007, The Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine opened in Harlem. In 2014 the Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine expanded, opening a second campus in Middletown, NY.   
With the rapidly changing healthcare landscape, the need for NYSOMS as a voice for patients and physicians alike is as great as it has ever been.   To that end we have increasingly joined forces with our M.D. physician colleagues on state and national issues. In 2016 NYSOMS and the MSSNY held a joint advocacy event in Albany and will continue to work together for the benefit of patients and physicians.